Val's Place of Hope operates the Weekend Three Squares Program in the community in the DFW Metroplex. We provide food to families with children participating in the free or reduced-price school meals program. The program offers nutritious, kid-friendly, supplemental food for children with limited food resources outside of school.
We all know that hungry children can’t concentrate on learning, are sick more often and have more behavior problems than well-nourished children. Inadequate nutrition remains a problem for Texas children even with the availability of school nutrition programs and food banks.
Since 2014, the program has offered nutritious, kid-friendly, supplemental food for children with limited food resources outside of school. During the 2014-15 school year, Weekend Three Squares Program provided over 3,000 services to high-need students, including take-home bags and snacks.
If you are interested in contributing to Val's Place of Hope Food Pantry's Weekend Three Squares Program, funds are used to purchase food for the community to directly distribute to families. If you would like to donate foods for the program, we recommend the items below. They have been selected for their portability, ease of preparation and nutritional value.
- Protein: flip-top cans of chili, ravioli, easy-to-prepare macaroni and cheese, tuna, vegetarian refried beans, small plastic jars of peanut butter.
- Dairy: shelf-stable milk or soy milk
- Fruit: snack-sized (4 oz.) applesauce, peaches, pears, fruit cocktail, with flip tops. 100% fruit juices and natural fruit snacks.
- Vegetables: vegetable soups or stews; canned green beans, corn or carrots.
- Grains: individual servings of instant oatmeal, whole-grain cereal, cup of noodles, chicken noodle soup, instant rice meals.
- Snacks: cheese crackers, energy bars, multigrain bars (without peanuts).